Been There, Done That...
So, after 8 land-border crossings, 9 inter-Africa flights, countless matatu bus and moto taxi rides....here is a list of what I did over the past 2 1/2 months. I've been back stateside for a little over a week now and am trying to adjust to life back in the Big Apple. It has been such a rewarding, memorable and fulfilling trip and I'm so lucky to have met so many amazing people along the way. Missing Africa already!
There are still follow-up issues that need to be sorted out, such as selling the rest of my T-shirts, so I can transfer funds to Gisimba Orphanage and Voices of Rwanda by the end of the year.
- Interviewed and photographed 20 orphans needing sponsors at Gisimba orphanage
- Delivered 13 boxes of donated clothes, soccer balls, medical supplies, toys and books to Gisimba Orphanage.
- Engaged children in art projects and making a music video with them.
- Photographed, printed and mounted pictures of the 150 Gisimba preschool students.
- Transcribed in English, an 8 hour genocide survivor testimony. (Voices of Rwanda)
- Helped with a filming of a testimony. (Voices of Rwanda)
- Coordinated office logistics and some operational duties (Voices of Rwanda)
- Successfully shipped 7 boxes of tapes and computers to Voices of Rwanda
- Coordinated the delivery of approx. 500 professional artist canvases to Rwanda for distribution at various organizations
- Visited my 2 sponsored children in Western Kenya. Delivered food and supplies to both families.
- Donated various other supplies (meds, baby formula, books, clothes, balls to other organizations in Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda and Zanzibar)
- Distributed 5 boxes of Plumpy Nut to malnourished children in the Kibera slums of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Visited 4 orphanages (2 in Rwanda, 1 in Uganda, 1 in Zanzibar)
- 3 genocide memorial sites
- 1 Congolese refugee camp in Burundi
- 1 Genocidaire Prision
- Hiked and camped on top of the active Nyiragongo Volcano in DR Congo.
- River rafted class 5 rapids in Jinja, Uganda.
- Attended a Rwandan wedding negotiation ceremony
- Camped at an eco-lodge/bird sanctuary island in Lake Bunyonyi, Uganda
- Played beach volleyball by Lake Tanganyika, nestled between UN base camps in Burundi.
- Hung out with Maasai warriors and chilled by the beach on the sultry island of Zanzibar.
- Saw the Pyramids of Giza, Egypt on a day stopover in Eygpt.